Embassy of The State of Kuwait
Australia - New Zealand
Kuwait City
Work Visa
Consulate Section
Once he has entered Kuwait on the entry visa, the employee is required to undergo medical tests and obtain a
fingerprint certificate before he can process his residence visa.

Medical Tests
The medical tests are taken at the Ports & Borders Health Division, Gamal Abdul Nasser Street, in Shuwaikh, just west
of KISR but before the Chest Hospital is reached. Requirements are passport, copy of NOC, a single photograph and
a KD10 revenue stamp. Revenue stamps are available from post offices, or from private traders outside the test area
who charge a small premium over the nominal value of the stamp.
To take the tests, a pink card must be obtained from a reception window. There is no system of appointments and
most people must queue for the various procedures. These include blood tests for serious infectious diseases, such
as AIDS, and a chest x-ray. A meningitis vaccination is also given. It takes about a week for the results, which are
given in the form of a certificate from the Ministry of Public Health, to come through. Persons found to be infected with
epidemic diseases are deported.

Personal head-and-shoulder type photographs are needed in Kuwait on innumerable occasions. Passport-size
photographs are usually acceptable, but the circumstances in which photographs will be needed are not entirely
predictable and it is best to stock-up before beginning immigration procedures. The regulation sizes for official
purposes are:

Passport-Size 4.0x5.0cm (maximum)
3.5 x 4.5cm (minimum)
Civil ID Card 3.0 x 4.0cm
Driving Licence 2.0 x 3.0cm

For a civil ID card the overall length of the face must be within a range of 2.2 to 2.5cm, while for a driving licence the
overall length of the face must be within a range of 2 to 2.25cm. The photograph for a civil ID card must show the face
without spectacles, but if a person habitually wears spectacles then the photographs for a driving licence must show
them being worn.

Health Insurance Scheme
From April 10, 2000 Ministry of Health has imposed health insurance on expatriates. No new residence is stamped or
old renewed unless the expatriates have paid the state health insurance premiums,  The duration of expatriates’
residence is linked directly to the period covered by health insurance. One year health insurance paid entitles only
one year residence permit.

Fingerprinting & Security Clearance
To have fingerprints registered, an employee’s passport, copy of the passport, four photographs and a letter from the
Ministry of Social Affairs & Labour are required. An application form must be completed in Arabic and there are always
freelance typists around who will do so for a small fee.

It takes about a week for the finger-prints to be processed and the security clearance certificate to be issued by the
Criminal Evidence Department of the Ministry of the Interior. The certificate is picked up from the same place.

Application for Residence
The actual application for an iqama (residence) is made at the Immigration and Passport Department of the Ministry of
the Interior in Shuwaikh (the jawazaat or ‘passport office’), just off the Airport Road near the Q8 compound between
the 3rd and 4th Ring Roads. First time applicants for residence must bring along the following documents in the form
of both originals and photocopies:

  • declaration on the prescribed form completed and signed by the sponsor.
  • passport .
  • work permit .
  • NOC .
  • medical certificate .
  • security clearance (fingerprint) certificate .

Four passport size photographs are also required. A maximum of five years residence can be granted. there is
Application  fees for Residence ,  If the sponsor is a government organisation then, by law, the employee must bear
the cost. If the sponsor is a private company the cost is a matter of negotiation between the sponsor and the employee.

Renewing Residence
After the initial residence has expired it can be renewed, provided the expatriate intends to continue under the same
sponsor. Renewal is a fairly simple matter. Applications are made at the jawazaat in Shuwaikh and the process should
be started a month before the expiry of the current residence.

Medical tests are not required on renewal. However the employee’s work permit must first be renewed with the Ministry
of Social Affairs & Labour. The application for renewal must be supported by:

  • the employee’s passport and a copy of it,
  • the renewed work permit, and
  • a copy of the sponsor’s signature as required for business purposes.

Normally the sponsor or his official a representative  will attend at the jawazaat to renew the employee’s iqama. Where
the employee does so himself, he must have a letter from his sponsor authorising him to do so.

Once he has obtained his own residency, a male employee may sponsor his wife and children to live with him in
Kuwait. Permission to sponsor wife and children is granted only to those who meet the minimum salary condition.

A working wife cannot sponsor her husband as a dependent. Sons over 21 years cannot be sponsored as
dependants, though adult daughters and parents may. Dependent family members may not work without transferring
to a work visa under Kuwaiti sponsorship. This transfer is now allowed after one year. Earlier it was three years.

An entry visa for a dependent is obtained from the jawazaat (Passport Office) in Shuwaikh. An application form must
be typed in Arabic and bilingual typists are available for a charge of 500 fils. The following supporting documents are

  • sponsor’s salary certificate .
  • copy of the sponsor’s civil ID .
  • copy of the dependent’s passport .
  • authenticated marriage certificate or child’s birth certificate .

The marriage certificate and child’s birth certificate must be authenticated by the sponsor’s embassy and certified by
the Kuwait Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Once they have entered the country the formalities for a dependent’s iqama (art 22) are similar to those for a work
visa. The dependent must be medically tested and fingerprinted. The photographs and documents required are the
same as shown on page 39. The sponsor’s declaration is an undertaking by the family supporter that he will maintain
the dependent.

New Born Baby
When a baby is born to expatriates in Kuwait, the parents must obtain a dependent’s iqama for the child. There is no
minimum salary requirement and the father of child born in Kuwait can sponsor his infant’s residence irrespective of
his salary level.

But first the parents must obtain a birth certificate for the child. The hospital where the child was born will provide a
notification of the birth. This must be taken to the registry of births in the governorate in which the birth took place to
obtain the official birth certificate. The hospital will provide the address. The additional documents required to obtain
the birth certificate include: application form duly completed, photocopies of parents’ passport and civil IDs, and
authenticated marriage contract. The birth certificate is usually ready to be picked up at the registry after about a

When the notification is being submitted at the registry, the parents will be asked to write down the proposed first
name of the child. For expatriates who do not speak Arabic the name will be written phonetically in Arabic.

To obtain residence the baby’s name must first be added to the parent’s passport or a separate passport must be
obtained for the infantt. To obtain a passport for the child, different embassies have different rules, but most non-
Arabic embassies require a certified translation of the child’s birth certificate while some require the birth certificate to
be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kuwait.

Once a passport has been procured or the child has been added to one of its parent’s passport, the procedures for
obtaining the child’s residence are the same as for any dependent. An infant born in Kuwait however is not required to
undergo medical tests and fingerprinting. The documents required include the originals and copies of the father’s
passport, the civil IDs of both parents, marriage certificate, work permit and letter of employment indicating salary. The
application for the infant’s residence must be made within 60 days of the birth to avoid a fine of KD 200.

Where the father works in the private sector, the administrative fee for the new-born infant is KD100 in the first year
for the first and second child, and KD200 in the first year for the third and subsequent children. But if the father works
in the public sector, there is no charge in the first year for the first three children.
The Embassy of the State of Kuwait would like to advise that the following requirements are required to be sent to
the Embassy in Canberra for obtaining work visa:

  • A complete physical examination for contagious or disabling diseases including HIV, Viral Hepatitis B, Viral
    Hepatitis C and a pregnancy test for women. Find attachment with the required tests.(All the lab results and
    a letter from the doctor required to be sent) for everyone over the age of 12 years old, click here for
    Essential Vaccination by Age .

  • A police clearance certificate (Name Check) certified by the department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in
    Australia or New Zealand (This certificate will be used in Kuwait for getting you residency visa) this
Certificate only for applicants who are 18 years and over.

(The Police Clearance has to be obtained after getting the NOC from Kuwait )
The original visa document – (No Objection Certificate NOC) (Arabic copy) obtained by the sponsor from the
immigration in Kuwait .

  • Money Order of AUD 70.00 addressed to the Embassy of Kuwait ($ 35.00 for a visa and $ 35.00 for
    certifying the Police Clearance).

  • Copy of passport. (Only a photo copy not the original)
  • Two (2) passport size photographs.
  • Self Addressed Pre-paid Envelope.

Note: Processing the visa application by the Embassy would take two working days.